West Portal Playground, heavily used by many groups including a San Francisco Parks and Recreation afterschool program, has received an F rating from San Francisco Parks Alliance.
About West Portal Playground
The West Portal Playground is a 1.9-acre park that sits above the western mouth of the Twin Peaks Tunnel. The property, under the jurisdiction of the SF Recreation and Park Department, is a by-product of the West Portal rail station, which opened in 1918. The clubhouse was dedicated in 1951, and underwent a $1.5 million renovation in 2005 to expand and upgrade the facility. A ceramic art installation adorns the exterior of the clubhouse, created by artist Aileen Barr and administrated by the San Francisco Arts Commission. The existing Playground also includes a picnic area, playground and large play field.
The renovation of West Portal Playground is part of Let’sPlaySF, a partnership between the Recreation and Parks Department and the San Francisco Parks Alliance that seeks to inspire creativity and play throughout the City. In the coming years, 13 playgrounds prioritized for improvement by a citizen task force will be reimagined and redesigned for this and future generations of San Francisco’s children.
Please visit SF Rec and Parks website here for more information about West Portal Playground.
For more information about Let's Play SF, please visit the Parks Alliance website here.